50 Tips to becoming a Fit Mother
50 tips to becoming a Fit Mom
by Maria Kang
Staying healthy is a whole different ball game when you’re a mother. You can forget about keeping a consistent schedule, sleeping eight hours a night and spending two hours at the gym. While the day-to-day physical challenges are one thing, the daily mental challenges are another. Not only do you deal with stretch marks, hormonal fluctuations and pregnancy weight gain, but you have to deal with your insecurities around women who have never had a baby, a sleepless night or a full-on toddler tantrum. I knew becoming a fit mother required me to make extra efforts in creating a successful environment. After gaining and losing 110lbs for three years after having three kids, three years old and under, here are my 50 top tips to becoming a fit mother.
1. Breastfeed: it burns tons of calories and contracts your uterus to become smaller.
2. Create short term goals to keep you motivated.
3. Measure your progress by inches, clothes and confidence…not just the scale.
4. Stock up on meal replacements, like protein shakes, if you are too busy to eat.
5. Drink some tea or coffee for an extra boost of energy.
6. Journal what you are eating so you get a good idea of your caloric intake.
7. Only keep healthy foods in your house.
8. Bring healthy snacks like a protein bar/shake or nuts for quick snacks in your car.
9. Carry a water bottle everywhere you go.
10. Workout in the morning before the children wakes up.
11. State your intentions every morning by creating daily workout and diet goals
12. Invest in a jogging stroller. (I’ve purchased mine inexpensively on Craigslist)
13. As soon as your baby is old enough, instill a routine for him/her so your schedule becomes more predictable.
14. Join a stroller club or No Excuse Mom Fitness group
15. Perform exercises with your baby like “kiss the baby sit-ups”
16. Buy workout DVD’s to perform at home.
17. Jump rope while watching your kids in the backyard or park
18. Climb on the jungle gym with your kids
19. Play the Wii instead of video games
20. Create a mini-home gym complete with some weights, strength bands and a yoga mat
21. Join a gym with a kids club
23. Find a role model who is a fit mom
24. Make “workout dates” with your friends
25. Set a goal like a beach vacation to keep you focused
26. Hold yourself accountable by telling other people your fitness goals
27. Workout with your partner for support
28. Enjoy active recreational activities like hiking and biking
29. Don’t finish the rest of your child’s food
30. Start eating more raw foods (fruits and vegetables). It saves on cooking time and is more nutritious.
31. Eat before attending birthday parties
32. Avoid eating out (and save yourself from the chaos of bringing kids to the restaurant)
33. If you eat fast food, always order a salad or grilled chicken sandwich
34. Eat most of your sandwiches “open-faced” or with just one slice of bread.
35. Forfeit the bread basket at restaurants and only drink water or unsweetened ice tea (with lemon!)
36. Eat s-l-o-w-l-y. Allow your body and mind to get satiated by the food your consuming.
37. Purchase a healthy cook book and try a new recipe every week. If it’s not within budget, follow healthy Facebook pages! There are tons.
38. Subscribe to an informational fitness magazine or online newsletter (that is often free).
39. Try out new exercises every week as it will promote change, challenge and avoid boredom.
40. Perform core exercises three times a week to tighten up your midsection. Here are my favorite AB exercises.
41. Incorporate both weight training and cardio in your exercise routine
42. Invest in cute workout clothes that make you feel beautiful and confident
43. Brush your teeth at 8pm to avoid eating late at night
44. Create a workout calendar as a visual reminder
45. Make a personal pact to spend a minimum of 20 minutes a day exercising
46. Get acquainted with the free workout channels on your television set
47. Find your favorite workout videos on Youtube.com
48. Be an active consumer in your local farmer’s market
49. Plant a vegetable garden with your kids
50. Focus on becoming a positive role model for your kids
For 12 months of inspiration, tips and workouts, purchase our 2014 Fit Mom Swimsuit Calendar for $11.99 HERE.