There are so many benefits to drinking more water. Improved digestion, clearer skin, weight loss, increased energy, flushes out toxins, etc. Most recently some of our No Excuse Moms partook in this 30-day challenge and lost weight, eliminated eczema, decreased headaches, removed dark under eye circles and increased energy all through drinking water and changing nothing else in their diet and exercise routine.
I love focusing on drinking water because it is an available commodity for most people. It’s a simple addition to their daily life that seems actually do-able. Since I (Maria Kang) only drink water (most often it’s infused with lemon, cucumber, berries or mint) it makes sense to share and promote this fountain of youth and health. Not only do I drink primarily water but so do my kids. I remember a long time ago I used to dilute their sippy cups with some apple juice and water. One day, I stopped buying juice and while they sought it for a day or so, it is now commonplace to only drink water and juice on special occasions (like a friends birthday party).
So if you are going to start the 30-day No Excuse Water Challenge let me offer some rules and tips.
1. Focus on drinking a gallon of water a day. NO, do NOT drink it all at one time. Drink it in the morning, before and after meals, during your workouts and when you need to hydrate during work or running errands. You can also consider the water in unsweetened coffee or tea (yes you can have these) – as long as it’s consumed without additional sugar.
2. I chose to have this challenge in the hottest time of the year (in the western hemisphere), which is August. Many people are very dehydrated during this time so this is a great reminder to get some liquid in your system!
3. Some of you might not meet a gallon a day. After all, that’s a lot of water! I don’t even hit that mark often – especially if I break my routine, like not working out. However, even if you only drank 80 oz (gallon is 128 oz) don’t feel like a failure. The #noexcusewaterchallenge is not about perfection, it’s about progress. It’s about being more conscious of your water intake and drinking more than you normally would.
4. With that said, be aware that you should always consult your physician before engaging in any fitness or nutritional program. While too much water can be too much of a good thing, if taken in small doses throughout the day, it shouldn’t cause harm to your health. Everyone is different so seek consult with your doctor if you have any reservations.
5. So be prepared to urinate. For people like myself, going to the bathroom nearly every hour is commonplace. For people who are usually dehydrated, it might come as a shock to have to urinate every hour or so. Cleansing/flushing out toxins is a good thing – so is peeing nearly clear (versus urine that has too much color, like apple juice, a clear sign of dehydration)
6. Participate in this challenge with a friend. You will hold each other accountable.
7. Making dietary or exercise changes are not required – but of course, I always suggest everyone be active!
8. As many know, I believe in small treat meals throughout the week (usually two). So, in accordance to my No Excuse Philosophy, I DO believe it’s okay to indulge in a caloric drink (this includes alcohol) 1-2 times a week during your treats.
9. Hashtag #noexcusewaterchallenge on Facebook and Instagram (mine is @mariakangfitness). For the whole month of August I will be posting pictures of those participating. Be creative!
10. Submit your progress pics and story to email@example.com by Sept 5th for a chance to win a Define Bottle. If you can’t wait until September for one of these cute infused bottles, you can purchase it here and get 10% off using the code NOEXCUSES