Shrimp, Fennel and Avocado Salad
NEMs! Summer is finally here! It’s the time of fresh fruits, veggies, and lots of fresh salads.
Jen Walsh is a San Diego NEM member and a personal CHEF! She is sharing this fresh and healthy Shrimp, Fennel & Avocado salad recipe with us. But first, let’s get to know our fellow NEM!
How many children do you have and their ages? 2 boys 8 months and 4 1/2 years
How did you get involved with NEM? Health and fitness has always been an important part of my life and something I think is imporant to share with my boys. I saw the “controversial” article about Maria being passed around on Facebook and thought, “that’s my kind of mom!” I began following her and was excited to find out about the regional groups.
When do you find time to workout? I’m lucky enough to get to (mostly) stay home with my boys so we all head out to the gym first thing in the morning before the days’ tasks get in the way.
What is your favorite workout? I love Turbo Kickboxing (TKB). I did it all through my most recent pregnancy even including the day I went into labor!
How do you stay motivated? I love to eat so I have to do something to counter that! Working out is also my form of therapy. I feel better and more centered after working out and my kids love the kids club at the gym so its a Win-Win!
****** SHRIMP, FENNEL & AVOCADO SALAD ******
This is a beautiful salad that could be served to company for a special occasion or lunch any day. Sometimes if I’m having shrimp for dinner I will set aside a couple to make this salad for lunch the next day. You can take the time to make the fancy culinary school orange supreme, or you can just toss them on there however you like.
Servings 2 lunch sized salads
- 10 each Shrimp size 6/20, cooked*
- 1 bulb Fennel or Sweet Anise, thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 small blood oranges, or regular oranges.
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Mixed greens
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
*You can buy cooked frozen shrimp or raw shrimp, my preference. To cook shrimp, simply line a baking sheet with foil. Toss shrimp with oil of choice and salt and pepper. Lay shrimp flat and broil about 3-5 minutes, until opaque.
For Orange Supreme:
- Cut off the ends of the orange and slice down around the sides to remove rind.
- Over a bowl, cut between pith to remove segments. Remove any seeds from segments.
- Squeeze the remaining pith over the bowl to collect the juice. For 2 salads you want about 2 Tablespoons of juice.
- Add balsamic vinegar to orange juice, until you have 2 Tbsp.
- Whisk in 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- If you have extra juice, just add equal parts olive oil. This vinaigrette is delicious on lots of salads or for marinating vegetables.
- Divide sliced fennel, shrimp, sliced avocado, and orange segments between 2 plates over mixed greens. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad. Enjoy!
There you have it NEMs! If you make this, let us know how you liked it!
Do you have a recipe that you would like to share? Email me: Meeshie@NoExcuseMom.com
For more about JEN WALSH you can find her here: